Ministry Backpack Podcast Episode 14 Show Notes:
Summary: In today’s podcast, I talk about an essential quality for Christian Leaders – Understanding
Resources and Links mentioned in this episode:
2 Corinthians 6:6a
(But in everthing, as God’s ministers, we commend ourselves) “By purity, by knowledge, …”
“Understanding“ – Knowledge of God & True Wisdom
Suggestions for growing in “Understanding” in our ministry leadership:
1. Always be prepared. Don’t “wing it.” Study, prepare and be ready for the groups and ministries you lead and responsible for.
When you don’t know what you’re talking about and just flying by the seat of your pants, people will figure that out pretty quickly. Then they will stop listening, they will stop following, and they will stop trusting your judgment.
2. Keep growing and learning. Make a commitment to becoming an ongoing learner.
* Read/consume more things that will help you grow and learn. “Leaders are readers.” – Harry S. Truman’s quote – “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.”
* Begin to memorize and meditate on Scripture. As a result, through the power of personal experience with God’s Word, you develop more authority and passion about the Scripture. It isn’t just something someone told you, it’s something that you are personally living and learning.
* Search for Wisdom – Make it a life-long Quest.
3 furthermore, if you call out to insight and lift your voice to understanding, 4 if you seek it like silver and search for it like hidden treasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God. – HCSB
Make it an exciting, life-long journey to gain wisdom.
* Pray and ask God for wisdom & understanding.
5 Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be gven to him. – HCSB
1 Chronicles 1:10 (The Example of the Younger King Solomon)
10 Now grant me wisdom and knowledge so that I may lead these people, for who can judge this great people of Yours? – HCSB
3. Keep your relationship with God fresh.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and discipline. – HSCB
For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. -HSCB
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. – HSCB
“Growing in Understanding” as a Christian leader is more than academic – it’s relational. It flows from a strong relationship with God and His Word.
“It’s about making sure that your relationship with God is as fresh as this morning.”
A wise warrior is better than a strong one, and a man of knowledge than one of strength; – HCSB
“You are more ‘follow-able,’ and you have more authority as a Christian leader when you have Godly wisdom. It is true “understanding,” and it is an essential.
Join the conversation on this topic by commenting or leaving questions below. If you have a question that you’d like to have heard on the podcast, record your question, and upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox, Box or some other cloud based site and send the link to Hello@MinistryBackpack.com
Music Provided by “Artist Unknown” – https://artistunknown.bandcamp.com/